Friday, September 4, 2009

wow. just ....wow.

I'm totally blown away by the controversy over President Obama's scheduled speech to students. How is this in ANY way controversial?? It strikes me as mildly positive, perhaps a bit mundane, but far from controversial. The absolute "threat" that some people seem to feel about simply hearing a speech, is enough to give one pause. I'm afraid that folks must be afeared that their offspring are as addlepated as themselves. Junior will be suddenly "polluted" in his mind after twenty minutes of speaking by a politician, albeit a politician elected to the office of President, and a pretty fine orator. Good heavens!

I asked a serious question about this topic on a very large listserv of which I am a member, which elicited a number of fine, thoughtful responses. Interestingly, those responses were primarily in support of allowing students to hear and discuss the President's address. I also garnered a number of responses that were heated, and probably sincere, but woefully lacking in logic. My request had been for logical, reason-based arguments against allowing students to listen to the live speech. I got nothing that I could put into that category.

And so we head into the weekend. What a week it has been. wow. Just...wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment